Sunday, September 20, 2009

Finding the balance between making art and marketing it.


I usually market my work when I am done producing a good body of it which usually translates to about 8 months making 4 months marketing.
This year has been a different kind of year for me. I have done a lot of project specific work that needed immediate marketing so I am finding that I am doing small chunks of time marketing then making then marketing...etc.... As well as marketing and producing at the same time. A whirlwind of activity!

The optimal balance still eludes me!! But I am happily trying new ways and seeing what is possible.

In the studio I am working on the figurative commission piece and will post progress in a week or so. I am also working on my Eye explorations and have started a larger piece which is pictured here. I like how it is progressing but have not found the missing element for this painting yet. (or it may be done, HA!)

I am also in the process of promoting the group show I am participating in this October ...Landscape : Scene and Unseen.
Filling out paperwork and applications for a Vermont Studio Residency, MCC fellowships....and a few shows that may work for me at Woman Made Gallery in Chicago and with the Woman's Caucus of Art.

and if that wasn't enough.....I have been exploring the possibilities of networking on Face book. I am enjoying meeting other artists and getting plugged in to what is happening in galleries and museums around the country.
Now that I have settled down into the Fall schedule at home I hope to be able to focus even more on my studio practice while continuing to indulge in the practice of having regular studio visitors and visits.


2 comments:

Karin Bartimole said...

Hi Alicia, I love this new piece of yours. I've been kind of eye obsessed lately - my sketch book is over flowing :) your eyes are beautiful, and always draw me in!

lauraverdeti said...

I like very much the light that u have in ur works it give me a great feeling!
Keep up the good work!

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer