Wednesday, December 14, 2011

The Altered Book

I like to get out of my comfort zone in the studio and participate in several types of group shows at least a few times each year. I appreciate getting the chance to look at what I am exploring in my work through new eyes….via a new medium, process, format, or theme….or to just get the chance to contemplate something totally different.
I created this altered book for a group show that is now on view at Hampden Gallery, A Novel Idea, runs through Feb. 19, 2012. A catalog of the show will be available.





Title of my piece: In Praise of Non-Conformity




Name of the book altered: “Know and Follow Rules” by Cheri J. Meiners M.Ed.



Dimensions: photo: 8”x10” Jar: 7”x 3”

Catalog statement:
In the burning of the book “Know and Follow the Rules” I attempt to make a statement on the impact of conformity and the unhappiness that it causes in our contemporary society. Strikingly, the process I had to go through to complete the burning paralleled the process we all must go through to incorporate change in ourselves and in the grander scheme of life, the changes that we need to go through to transform society. I was not able to burn the book all at once, I had to first deconstruct the book and burn it piece by piece, rule by rule. Stopping after each page to stir and re-light the smoldering darkness that remained at the bottom of the container. Alchemically transformed to the dust of the past, this jar of ash is a testament that change is possible. That we can all transform our beliefs and patterns of behavior so that we may honor our differences and know that they make us beautiful in our uniqueness. In that uniqueness we all have something to contribute.

May all beings be happy and find joy!
~Alicia Hunsicker, November 2011




Gallery hours:
Monday through Thursday: 12 PM to 6 PM
Sunday 2 PM – 5 PM

No comments:

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer