Sunday, February 22, 2009

Alicia Hunsicker's Leyden Photography chosen for article in local newspaper


This past fall (2008) I participated in an international photography project called We are Having Weather. I did 2 two week photo exchanges with partners from Latvia and Finland.

I have felt a bit isolated in my small hill town of 800 especially when it comes to arts opportunities so I decided to use my location as inspiration and a place to focus on with a positive application. I explored my neighborhood daily looking for conditions that might make an interesting photo. With all the dramatic weather we have out here and the beautiful fall color I created a really great body of work. I was pleased when I found out it would be shown in Shanghai as part of the Intrude 366 project and in Boston with the Transcultural Exchange this April.

This past week I was contacted by a local newspaper. They were doing an article on the Leyden Bicentennial Celebration that was snowed out this past New Years Eve and again tonight! (we are having a snow storm as I write) Anyhow this was the "Leyden" photo that they chose to appear in the paper. It is the view from the end of my driveway looking up the hill. It was taken in late fall in the afternoon light.

2 comments:

Nancy Natale said...

What a beautiful photo! No wonder it was chosen. It looks so idyllically New England. Congratulations on success in another medium!

Alicia Blaze Hunsicker said...

Thanks Nancy! I came to photography by way of painting. I used it for a long time as a tool for source material and to help with my figurative work. Now I appreciate it as a medium and enjoy working with the camera to explore light and shadow.

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer