Friday, February 6, 2009

Planting Future Seeds

I spent much of January recovering from jet lag, strep throat, and a sinus infection. Needless to say I didn't get much painting done, However I did do other things that artists do which are sometimes just as important as doing the art. I have been working on marketing through mailing, internet, and my blogs.
The Eye to Eye blog is coming along but I still have so much more to add which requires going through the 1000's of pictures I took in China. So keep checking back!

I have also been doing lots of Internet searching for shows, exhibitions, residencies and grants that I can apply my current body of work to. I have found 4 or 5 that I am interested in and am in the process of gathering application materials and sending them out. I finished one today to be sent tomorrow morning.

In Gaia's Womb, 30" x 40", oil on canvas, Alicia Hunsicker

After all this seed planting comes the waiting...(that is when I can paint!)

It is interesting to me that when I am in these periods of work that require seed planting, I struggle with feelings of non-movement....only to see at some point that it was work well done and I can appreciate the new movement the "other" work has created.

Sometimes this is a fast process and sometimes it comes to fruition years later and sometimes not at all. I will have to say though that each year I do this the response gets quicker and better.
Today for example I received some good news for my birthday!
I applied this week to Art and Poetry Journal and was happy to find out that my work had quickly been accepted. It will come out in the spring/Summer. I will say more when the details are solidified.

Best of all (through the mailing and raffle) I sold several paintings which found homes locally and in Colorado. (not including the 2 pieces that found homes directly from the raffle)

Well that's whats been going on in the studio this past month.......I will hopefully have more good news to come in the near future! Including some new paintings in progress that have been waiting to come out of me......until then......
Keep on planting those seeds ...ya never know where they might sprout!

No comments:

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer