Thursday, March 26, 2009

Studio Update : Dick Blick Canvas Order Arrives & New Work

Dick Blick has a great canvas sale in August and January usually around 80% off if your buying bulk.........I missed the last two and couldn't wait for August to order for my next few projects. I was looking for the 3inch x 3inch gallery wrap canvas but could never find them so I re-evaluated my artistic vision and went with 4 inch x 4 inch canvas instead. I actually got a really great deal on them they were selling packages of 9 for around $16. and then they give you a +5 price and then I found a coupon on line for money off and low cost shipping....I ended up paying 1.60 a canvas...Not too bad~
I am hoping to get into the studio this weekend and really PAINT!
I have been playing around with photography - Xerox's - and acrylic transfers.

This is the piece I brought to my critique group this past weekend. I didn't realize the impact it had until it was hung in the spacious gallery at Hampden. This piece moves and vibrates with interesting optical illusions. It was radiating the divine energy I have been thinking about. I am not really sure where this work is taking me......I do plan to paint on it but the artists who have seen this series feel that these stand on their own without more work....hummm? Well for now I am just getting my visual vocabulary down for this series and working out my process......experimenting ....having fun.......The only pressure I feel is the show in May where I really don't have a new piece that feels done. I hope to get a few pieces finished to show this month. I have also been working on a new artist statement for the new eye/hand work. Writing an artist statement is my least favorite thing to do as an artist......at least for my own work....but I get by.

No comments:

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer