Thursday, March 31, 2011

Draw On! @ The Aldrich, with James Esber


I was happy to be one of the 18 artists chosen to make new drawings in the series that will be included in Esber’s 2011 exhibition, at The Aldrich Museum.

On March 27, 2011, I attended the Draw On session where we had the pleasure of meeting artist James Esber (pictured here). He did a short talk about the show, and the importance that our individuality to come through in the drawings. Drawing was fun, there was a rhythm to his mark making which we were to paint over with our own style of mark making.










I have been working with circles (orbs) in my own work and wanted to incorporate that into my drawing. At the same time I had been thinking alot about the situation going on in Japan. I decided that one area in the piece would be a red circle and the rest would stay black.


Here I am working on my piece. We had a paint brush and two colors of ink black and red. We could do what we wanted while sticking to the parameters of the project






While we all started with the same materials, instructions, and base drawing, Every piece turned out different. After I finished my drawing I enjoyed discovering what the other artists did with their pieces.


This is my final piece that will be added to the exhibion.
This is not a portrait, 2009–11
Ongoing series of collaborative drawings
Ink and gesso on parchment
Drawings, 18 1/4 x 15 each
Hand-painted frames, 22 x 18 each







Here are a few views of the show hanging at the Aldrich.


.

No comments:

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer