Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Artist Residencies

This is a photo I took at sunset in Shanghai, where I recently traveled to work with the Zendai Museum of Modern Art. I am interested in going to new places and experiencing different cultures. I enjoy artist collaborations and participation in different kinds of artistic cultural exchanges. In the comming year I will be looking more for these opportunities.

I find the idea of artist residencies intriguing. Going somewhere and immersing yourself in different culture, discovering some new influences, allowing yourself time to create with out the distractions of the usual responsibilities of home all seem to be full of nothing but positive potential. In my research I found locations all over the world, urban and rural alike, with durations ranging from one week to a year, and quite a few of them are offering paid stipends to select individuals.

The Transcultural Exchange organization run by Mary Sherman is a great resource to artists who are exploring residencies and cultural exchange projects. They are having a conference in Boston, MA this April. (I hope to attend)
http://www.transculturalexchange.blogspot.com/
www.transculturalexchange.org/


If you could go anywhere and make art uninterrupted where would you go?

No comments:

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer