Monday, January 26, 2009

Chinese New Year 2009 ~ The Year of the OX

Happy New Year!

Last night I went with my family to the local Chinese restaurant we frequent to celebrate the Chinese New Year. They had lots of decorations, live music (drumming) and a wonderful performance of the Lion Dance............ My son wore a traditional Chinese outfit that I bought him in Old City, Shanghai. Everyone got a kick out of it. The night had special meaning to me because of my recent trip to China. I was feeling a bit nostalgic. The night ended with the reading of the fortunes.....mine was especially meaningful. It said.....All your hard work will soon pay off.

2009 the year of the OX: An Obstinate Year
Legend has it that in ancient times, Buddha asked all the animals to meet him on Chinese New Year. Twelve came, and Buddha named a year after each one. He announced that the people born in each animal's year would have some of that animal's personality. Those born in ox years tend to be painters, engineers, and architects. They are stable, fearless, obstinate, hard-working and friendly.

No comments:

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer