Friday, June 5, 2009

The Artist Statement

I tend to write artist statements based on a body of work.

I made the deadline for a show proposal today and I must say there were a lot of hoops to jump through and some fuzzy places in the prospectus that I think I probably mis-interpreted.
So that said.....yes, I may have made some mistakes in the application process.... but I did my best. I really find myself in a different place with all that. I understand there is inherent value in assigning a Instruction filled -outlined prospectus in the since that If I were the art director I would want to know if the artist can work my way....or at least professionally.....and can conform to the specifications etc, etc... but as an artist I do hope ideally there is flexibility in that process.

In the past I took all that very seriously......I guess I believed that this is the way its done and I wanted to do the best I could to follow "the rules"

Maybe I am growing as an artist, Maybe I have more confidence, maybe I don't care as much,
I don't know but something has changed. I feel a new freedom in all aspects of my work and it feels right and good. So if my application gets thrown out because I had too many words or
a typo or what ever......I'm fine with that. Besides isn't there value in the process itself?

Anyway Here is my new artist statement ......at least for today!


I recently read and artist bio/statement that started with “She’s a salty little pisser” I found that to be shockingly pleasing. I now aspire to come up with a great line as well that expresses my own duality to start my bio/artist statement with, because although I may be perceived from the words that I write on this page a certain way I can honestly say that the fullness of who I am is also shockingly pleasing.

In my work I attempt to create a multi layered symbolic language pulled from the richness of my life experience. I want to confront the viewer and provoke thought. There are multiple meanings a symbol has depending on the viewer. I think of them as cultural-context-based as well as experiential with a personal history attached that precedes the viewer’s interpretation.

In the current work, based on the concept of Inherent Divinity, I transform the eye and hand into symbols that represent the Divine and the power of creation to be manifested into form.

The common nature of these symbols guarantees that the audience will have multiple perspectives on what is being communicated. This is the human experience of perception which is in reality the essence of what I am exploring here. To punctuate my current topic of Inherent Divinity I also incorporate undercurrents of spirituality, sacred geometry, and mystery.

As I process my current life experiences, widen my personal perspective, and grow as an artist, I also evolve in my studio processes by adding new and innovative techniques to my palette of traditional painting methods. I am current, excited to continue the momentum in my artistic career, and I am dedicated to my studio practice. ~ Alicia Hunsicker, June 09

No comments:

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer