Monday, August 10, 2009

Ginny Rockwood Studio Guest


This past Friday the artist Ginny Rockwood visited my studio.
I enjoyed sharing with her my work and talking with her about what she has been up to as well.
Her last 2 shows were at the Brattleboro Museum of Art and the Savanna College of Art and Design. She has recently put up a website that features her paper portraits.
One (to the right) is me about 8 years ago with my baby boy... Benjamin. Wow! such a long time ago. I look/feel so different it's hard to believe that is me.... and Ben too has changed so much. How time flies.......
Ginny's artist statement states "Even as a child, I’ve felt an “itch” within that signified a need to create. I continue to scratch today.
Portraiture is one way I work at saving the memories and events in my life. Currently I’m exploring the integration of computer technology with the use of specialty papers through utilizing the colors, patterns, textures, and translucence of the papers to cut, glue, and form the layers of each personality. The process evokes reflection and gratitude to those who have affected and helped shape my life. Traveling around the world has provided me with an abundance of opportunities, and I’ve interacted with and experienced the energies of many locations. Digital photography has become my medium of choice to record my responses to each new landscape, seascape, structure, and being and their impact on me. It’s the process of creating that feeds me. Regardless of the outcome, the satisfaction comes with the anticipation, the thinking, the preparation, and the making. It keeps me human."

No comments:

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer