Tuesday, March 17, 2009

The Divine: Manifest


The concept I am exploring in my new work which is characterized by eyes and hands is that of Divine: Manifest. How we as humans are on the edge of the unfolding universe, expressing our individual divine sparks. We are the vehicles of creation existing to express the Divine which is continuously moving forward and outward.
In my work the Eye is the divine....the seed of the Soul which connects us to the Divine ..the hand is the vehicle through which it is expressed. As a painter this is a profound image to me.
This concept also leads me to think of how a tree branches out....how we humans reproduce making the family tree..... the hand in this case would be the leaf...the forefront of expression for the tree....its divine manifestation.
I am still working out this concept inside myself and in my art but it is interesting how images come to us as we learn. This is a photo I took in China at the Temple of the City Gods in the Old section of Shanghai. Its kinda hard to see but the little hands have eyes painted on them.

No comments:

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer