Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Maple Sugar Season: A New England Tradition



The Sap is flowing and the Sugar houses are open! Every year I try to go to one of the local farm/restaurants to get...waffles with sausage drizzled with maple syrup. I'm not a pancake person like most. This year we went to Davenport's Farm In Shelburne.

These are jars of maple syrup in the window of the sugar house barn. What wonderful colors! Just my palette.

Sugaring is very big in Leyden, my home town. My neighborhood is full of sap buckets and lines. We look forward to smelling the sap boiling down as we go on our spring walks. Two years ago my neighbor Kristin Nicholas and her farmer husband Mark tapped our trees and made there own syrup which had a wonderful smokey flavor.

No comments:

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer