Monday, May 25, 2009

Painting Commission & Memorial Day weekend fun

Well, where to start?, so much has happened over this Memorial Day Weekend. Here are the highlights.

First a funny story about going to see the movie Star Trek........or at least trying to!
I have set up a babysitter now 2 times .....dropped my son off, gone to the Cinemark in Hadley, which is a bit of a hall from Leyden, only to be turned away the first time with a sold out show. This past weekend, our second try we bought our tickets went in and ...NO SEATS! a full house.......we had to get a refund and will try again this weekend....geeez!


My son Ben, who just joined the Cub Scouts marched in his first parade for Memorial Day in Colraine a neighboring town. It was a small event. We marched from the Foundry Village Church to the Cemetery with a very official ceremony which included an honored Military Fly By (two fighter jets). He was beaming with pride as he carried the Scout flag!



I attended a really fun 40th birthday cookout for my friend Donna and took some photos for her. Happy Birthday Donna! I had to go to at least one cook out over Memorial day weekend.


In the studio I am preparing to start a newly acquired painting commission.
A few years back I did some photography work and will use a photo from that shoot as inspiration. I am really excited to get into some figurative painting again and to play with the white-pink & blue skin tones that I have wanted to learn. I love doing classic (like) figures in a contemporary way. I had fun today picking out colors for a Dick Blick paint order for this painting... and will try a Transparent White for the first time....Anyone with experience painting with it?? I also thought I would try a Chromatic Black...I am sick of the dull Ivory....and not a fan of pains grey.....but again I have no experience with this black so will see if I like it soon enough!
I hope I will have all that I need to start when the order comes in but will have to take another paint inventory to make sure. I am going to clean up the paint tubes and palette today.....Its Quite a mess!


I am cleaning the studio as well today to prepare for a Studio visit this Friday, going to print out some show applications to fill out, will be updating the blogs...etc... all good rainy day catchup stuff:-) And hopefully will have some time to get some painting done on the rose window which now has a blue band of color around the outside. (will post an updated version soon)

Also I want to mention a fascinating Art Blog that I am loving at the moment.
Self Vs. Self (the artist Hazel Dooney)

No comments:

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer