Monday, May 18, 2009

Stephen Knapp: Lightpaintings at the Brattleboro Museum and Art Center



I went to the Brattleboro Museum and Art Center yesterday on a whim and saw the Stephen Knapp: Lightpaintings show. It was AWESOME........and original. I Loved it!!

April 5 - July 26, 2009
Stephen Knapp: Lightpaintings
http://www.brattleboromuseum.org/

Rainbows are magical. Whenever a rain shower bursts on a beautiful sunny day, I always wheel around frantically to make sure I don’t miss nature’s most ephemeral show. The first time I walked into one of Stephen Knapp’s installations, I experienced the same spontaneous elation at seeing pure color spilling across the room as I do when a rainbow streaks across the sky.
Each lightpainting is generated by white light which travels across a series of cut and polished glass shapes. The pieces of glass have been treated with layers of metallic coatings that split, reflect, and splay color across the surrounding environment. Overlapping veils of color, in turn, create saturated blocks of color. Added to the interplay of colors are streaks of black, where the edges of the glass plates or hinge mechanisms throw shadows. The third dimension comes into play when our eyes acclimate to the darkness of the viewing area and our mind begins to integrate the glass plates into the composition.
As with abstract painting, I approach Knapp’s lightpaintings with the same attention I give to music or poetry. This keeps me from being too literal in my interpretation and allows me to be open to sensations and emotions. Thus, as with music, I can experience the syncopated, lyric, or noisy, and as in poetry, I can enjoy that which is evoked but not described.

—Mara Williams, Chief Curator

to see more of Stephen Knapp's Lightpaintings go to
http://www.lightpaintings.com/
...........................................................................................
Other Current Shows:
Lisa Hoke: Colot Wheels
Beth Krommes: The Poetry of Lines
Joseph Fichter: Winter Thunder
Playing Around: Group Show that incorporates Toys or toy imagery

No comments:

Alicia Hunsicker's art is undeniably beautiful. She is an expert at extracting the highly-detailed textures and fibers of the human body, bringing them from darkness, into the light, with a technical precision that rivals any modern-day master.
David Aquino, Brattleboro Reformer